Wednesday 11 April 2012

How I discovered David Hockney.


Years ago, when I came back from a village where we went to paint life drawing, I started painting these landscapes. 



I was delighted to see that the owner of the house that I had painted in my picture, wanted to buy it, saying
 that I had represented so well the light and joy of the place where several generations of her family were born since 1900; she was so excited looking at it.




One of the teachers who came with us, told me that my style looked a lot like an English well-known painter, called "David Hockney".


By those years we have not heard of him not even in our college. And  Internet didn´t had the same resources as now.                                            





Quick portaits in watercolor.

As there is no coincidence, just when I returned to Madrid, a friend of my mother gave me a double catalog of the latest exhibition of David Hockney in London.
I can not forget that moment, his wonderful painting moved me so much. I have spent many hours studying that photos! Every detail, every stroke ...
The views of my house are of the Sierra de Madrid mountains and that was what I started painting emulating this recently discovered master.

David Hockney paints every day.
"Most artists work all the time... especially good artists... I mean, what else is there to do?" (David Hockney)
"As you get older, it becomes a little more difficult to maintain the spontaneity, but I do an effort to achieve it" David Hockney.